Tuesday, April 14, 2015

A lost Fitbit, Prayer, and Child-life Faith



I have a great story about my kids that took place a couple of days ago and I want to share it with you.  Several of us on my mom’s side of the family all use Fitbits. In case you don’t know what a Fitbit is, it is a step counter that syncs to your phone and you can see how many steps you take in a day compared to your friends.  So a week ago, my Uncle Al approached me with getting a Fitbit as he wanted to participate in our family fun and starting counting his steps.

So this past Saturday, we were all working outside and I knew it would be a day to get a lot of steps in. Ethan was helping Al with several yard projects.  What I didn’t know was that Al had told Ethan that he had lost his Fitbit that morning.  At the end of the day I texted Al and asked him how many steps he had and he then informed me he had lost his Fitbit – after only 5 days. 

As the kids and I talked about it, we decided we would go outside and look around.  As we were talking it out I said to Ethan, “Why don’t you pray and ask God to help us find it?”  Ethan prayed a simple prayer and we were off looking.  

We started on one side of the yard and looked for 20 minutes, combing through leaves and mulch but we did not find it.  Next to our two homes there is an empty lot where the mulch came from.  I had asked Ethan if Al had gone back there to look but Ethan wasn’t sure if he had.  After our search Ethan said, “Daddy, I think we need to go and look back there.”  By then I had given up, although, throughout our search I kept praying and asking that we would find it. 

So we headed to the empty lot and, sure enough, it was there!  The kids were filled with such excitement and faith as they saw God answer a tangible prayer.   Ethan was so happy as he felt like we were to go to that lot.  He was so delighted to bring it to Al.  

I think when we approach God in prayer, we are sometimes afraid to ask God for small requests.  Perhaps praying for a lost Fitbit is too trivial for God to answer so we don’t give the Lord our daily requests.
From Matthew 7 we are instructed to “ask”, “seek,” and “knock.”  Jesus then goes on to say that our “Father will give good gifts to those who ask Him.” 

Again, I realize that a missing Fitbit compared to our massive world problems is a minor thing on the Lord’s mind.  But it shows that He is a good Father and cares about even the “little” things in our lives.  It is something I will always remember with my kids as I saw their faith boosted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment